Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Weekend Warriors Part II

Bubba and I wake at around 8:00 Sunday morning. We are both in much better moods. Breakfast proceeds a lot like it did Saturday morning. This time, though, he tries his hand at big boy cereal (I added milk). He did really well! Thank goodness for that leather chair though. ;)

Check out was at noon. Toddler Entertainment Time would have to coincide with Packing Time. I decided to take things slow. After all, it was only 8 and I had until roughly 11:30 to pack and entertain. I didn't want to get everything done and have to sit around wondering what to do.

We hung out in our jammies for a little while and watched Special Agent Oso (something we had never seen but he really liked) and Handy Manny. We slowly got dressed and packed.

Toddler Entertainment Time was in full swing with a ride on the elevator and a walk down the fourth floor hallway and back, a trip around the lobby and a walk to the pool to watch a little boy jump in. I was running out of ideas. We had just gotten back to the room and started to play the animal sounds "game" on my iPhone when joy of all joys, Daddy called!! He was on his way.

We each take a trip to the car to load up. We're finally ready to check out and leave. It's around 11:30 (earlier than I was expecting to be out of the hotel) so we grab some lunch and take it back to base. We all sit on a bench outside Daddy's building and eat. Bubba actually eats the most he has all weekend. After a quick walk to the Shoppette, Daddy abandons us. This is where the true Toddler Entertainment Time begins.

It is a balmy 80some degrees out. Even though I've slathered sunblock all over Bubba, I decide we need to find a shady spot to play. We find a big maple tree with a picnic table. We play ball (for the zillionth time since Saturday morning) in the shade of the tree until Mr. Crabby Pants starts to run off. A quick glance at the time alerts me to the fact that it is indeed almost time to meet Daddy AND nap time. Yay!

With about 45 mintues left to kill, I load him in the car and decide to go for a little drive around base. Since this is one of the last times Daddy will have to come here, I want to see what I'll most likely never see again. In about five minutes, I've seen all there is to see. The good news is Bubba is sound asleep. I find a parking space that's a little closer to the building we need to go to and sit and wait. The sweltering heat inside the car tells me it's time to find an outside spot.

It's 2:00 and time to meet Daddy. I remember that there is a little cafe inside the building we need to meet in. Bubba and I go in to wait. Daddy arrives shortly and we make our way to the basement so I can get a new ID card.

If it weren't for a Commander's Call, Daddy probably could have signed out right then and we could have started the trip home. No such luck.

I head to my trusty maple tree for another game of baseball. Bubba really isn't as thrilled this time around. Daddy assures me that these end-of-weekend meetings usually only last 20-30 minutes. I figure I can handle that. Twenty minutes turns into 30 before I know it. We ended up pounding the pavement (I swear we made a path) for nearly an hour.

We both nearly jump for joy when we see Daddy heading toward us. The sight of his face is a promise that the weekend is indeed over and we can start the trek home.

The change of pace was much needed but I think next time, we'll just tough it out at home without Daddy. Almost-two-year-olds are much happier when they have their toys to play with and their normal routine to follow. Mommies are happier that way too.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

So not as fun as you had hoped, but at least you survived!!! That's what's important! Thanks for sharing! :o)