Thursday, June 4, 2009

That's What Friends Are For

Have you ever just been in awe of something that someone has done for you?

I am so thankful for a good friend tonight. It's the times when you're in a tight spot when you find the ones you can really count on.

We honestly weren't expecting the call for Daddy to go to training this month. In the back of my mind, I let myself believe that there was a possibility but I've learned the hard way not to expect things (especially when you're dealing with the military). I never really thought that he'd leave this month.

Next week Daddy was going to go through the uniforms he has here and find others in storage. He knew he'd need a couple new sets of Blues so he wanted to take inventory and then order the necessary pieces so he'd have them in time to leave in late July.

Wrong.

We've had to step it up a bit. Since we are no longer close to a base, we've had to rely on AAFES.com for a few things. The last time he ordered a ribbon rack, etc. it only took a week, at most, for the items to get here. This is what we were planning on tonight when he logged in.

Wrong.

Pants are "not available at this time" and shirts will take up to two weeks to get here. We don't have two weeks. This is not what we needed right now.

The closest base with a Clothing Sales is Wright-Patterson in Dayton, Ohio. Yeah, let's hop in the car for that drive...for PANTS!
I immediately think of two friends in Alaska. I call the one who I think is a little less busy at the moment (sorry Miriah) and explain the situation. She *immediately* agrees to go to the BX, drop nearly $150 on the things we need and ship them ASAP. I'm floored.

What an incredible friend. Not only does she agree to do it but she literally leaves the house at that moment to do it. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. How on Earth am I so lucky to be blessed with such wonderful friends? I only hope that I am given the chance to repay her with more than a simple thank you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so lucky because YOU ARE THAT TYPE OF FRIEND. I'm glad she was able to help you out *hugs* Hope you're having a great weekend!
Crissy

Natalie and family said...

Hmmm Because you are a wonderful person and God knows that:) We love ya lady:) Miss you too Ive been catching up on your blog and have to say you have driven me close to tears on more than one post. I love you lady:) You are an amazing person and anyone would be extremely lucky and loved to call you friend!