Saturday, January 10, 2009

Greener Grass

So here's something I never thought I'd hear myself say: I miss Alaska.

For the nearly three years we were there, I couldn't wait to leave. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed living in the Land of the Midnight Sun. I'm what most would call a homebody and Alaska was just a bit too far from home for my tastes. Add to that the fact that, after a while, you start to feel like you're stranded on an island because you can drive for days and never leave the state and I was ready for my ticket home.

Having said that, I am really grateful for the experience. The scenery is something I've never seen in my life. I honestly couldn't stop staring at the mountains for weeks (And yes, they really do look purple sometimes.) While we were in TLF I would literally sit on the corner of the spare bed and stare out at the simple beauty of the sun hitting the side of the bare mountain. I would stare at all of that beauty out of just one window and wonder how someone could say God doesn't exist.

Moose and their calves, Dall sheep, grizzlies, otters... Honey, we're not in Pennsylvania anymore! In PA the biggest thing to wonder out in front of your car is a white tail deer (Or, in some cases, a random farmer's cow.) and road kill usually looks something like a rabbit, skunk, "possum" (as we say it around these parts) or squirrel.

As with living in any other part of the country, I slowly started to take my scenery for granted. "Yep, there's another mountain." "Oh, another moose in the backyard." "There's a black bear running around the neighborhood again? I was just going to go get the mail!."

It wasn't until we were a few days away from leaving that the thought of never seeing such things again really hit home. Happy to be heading back to Pennsylvania but sad to leave this adventure behind. That was me
.
I find myself checking up on all of my friends still living in Alaska. What's the temperature today? Any more snow? Any animals wondering about? What's new on base? How's that construction mess on the Glenn looking?

I suppose I'm just feeling a bit misplaced. Yep, we're home. Literally. Moving yourself, husband, toddler, dog and cat (and all of the necessary items for each) in with your parents isn't all it's cracked up to be. While I'm eternally grateful for the roof over our heads and the food in our bellies, I'm ready to move on. It's wonderful to be back "home" among family and friends but somehow I just don't know where I belong anymore.

No comments: