Thursday, August 6, 2009

When I Grow Up

Remember when you were little and you used to dream about what you wanted to be when you grew up? At different points in my childhood I aspired to be a teacher, an astronaut and a marine biologist. I'm sure you have a similar story.

There are days when I still wonder what I want to "be". When I started college I had visions of strutting my stuff in tailored business suits and pricey pumps while dreaming up fancy marketing schemes. After I graduated, that dream job just never surfaced.

At some point after getting married it dawned on me that what I really wanted to be was a mommy. I'd always knew that I wanted kids but suddenly, suits and heels were the last thing on my mind. I just couldn't picture myself in that line of work. I wanted to be someone's mommy.

That finally came true. I am someone's mommy and I wouldn't have it any other way. But, like many mommies, I'm finding myself wanting more. At some point our kid(s) will be in school and I'll be looking for things other than laundry folding and lunch packing to fill my days. Actually, that point is here much earlier than expected.

I've toyed with the idea of taking some online classes. I've have aspirations of starting my own business. The list goes on...

I was finally able to pinpoint one of my dreams the other day. I really want to take the necessary classes to become a car seat technician. I really do. I'm so sad when I see kids improperly restrained in their seats. (It's a much more prevalent occurence than you may think.) I want to be able to help. I want to be able to speak up and say, "I'm a certified technician. Would you mind if I gave you a hand with that car seat? It looks like your child could be a little safer." without having people think that I'm just butting in without knowing what I'm talking about.

Getting to this "dream" may prove to be a little more difficult though. The classes are generally a week long. They're from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm. There is a written test and there is a "field test". It's not like you sit in a class for an hour and they hand you a piece of paper. It's serious stuff. The certification is good for two years.

After we move, I'm going to start gathering information on a more serious level. I'm going to find out where the classes are and line up a babysitter so I can attend. This is something that I feel so convicted to do. I really think that I can finally do something that will (hopefully) help people.

No comments: